No sound using Vulkan with Jane's Longbow 2

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
hudson

No sound using Vulkan with Jane's Longbow 2

Postby hudson » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:22 pm

I am trying to use nglide to run Jane's Longbow 2. Unfortunately I am suffering from a common problem of sound loop crashes. None of the compatibility files (listed on the nglide website, provide by flyboy/phoenix, etc.) floating around have done anything to mitigate this. I'm not particularly surprised as this is known to be a tough issue to resolve. The only way I've found so far to get the game working reliably is to use software rendering rather than 3DFX, but it looks considerably worse.

I wanted to try and give Vulkan back end a shot to see if I had any better luck, but when the mission starts and nglide kicks in I lose all sound. Does anyone know why this would happen and how I might fix or work around it?

hudson

Re: No sound using Vulkan with Jane's Longbow 2

Postby hudson » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:13 am

I chose to skip Vulkan for now.

I found that there are lots of conflicting instructions out there about whether you can or should set a compatibility mode (Windows XP SP2 or 3 usually) in addition to using compatibility fixes like the one you provide.

I think the issue comes down to the fact that there is a GlobalMemoryStatus2GB that gets set and I think overrides the GlobalMemoryStatusLie. Since GlobalMemoryStatusLie is the one that seems to make the game stable afterall it's important NOT to set any compatibility mode.

I raised another thread demonstrating with screenshots what also adding AdditiveRunAsHighest substantially improves graphics.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:25 pm

hudson wrote:...when the mission starts and nglide kicks in I lose all sound.

Works fine for me, what's your Windows version?

hudson

Postby hudson » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:17 am

Windows 10 1803 (17134.228)

Return to “Problems”