problem with aspect ratio and resolution.

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
willow31

problem with aspect ratio and resolution.

Post by willow31 »

If I select "preserve original" in aspect ratio and resolution equal or inferior to my native resolution, this parameter works well. Even if I select 2560x1440 in nfs5, with this parameter, game stay in 4/3.
But if I select a resolution superior to my native resolution (for example : 7680x4320 and my native resolution is 2560x1440), this parameter doesn't work. The display is stretched (16/9 instead of 4/3) even if preserve original is turn on.

In dgvoodoo2, this problem doesn't occurs.
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: problem with aspect ratio and resolution.

Post by Zeus »

willow31 wrote:But if I select a resolution superior to my native resolution (for example : 7680x4320 and my native resolution is 2560x1440), this parameter doesn't work
Of course it won't work. Your monitor needs to support selected resolution, otherwise nGlide will try to recover and use lower supported 4:3 resolution.
willow31

Post by willow31 »

Zeus wrote:
willow31 wrote:But if I select a resolution superior to my native resolution (for example : 7680x4320 and my native resolution is 2560x1440), this parameter doesn't work
Of course it won't work. Your monitor needs to support selected resolution, otherwise nGlide will try to recover and use lower supported 4:3 resolution.
Although with dgvoodoo2 and scaling option centered, even with resolution superior to my native resolution aspect ratio stay 4/3.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

I may change the behavior and include aspect ratio setting while recovering from unsupported display modes, but that still doesn't change a fact you should never configure nGlide this way.
willow31

Post by willow31 »

Zeus wrote:I may change the behavior and include aspect ratio setting while recovering from unsupported display modes, but that still doesn't change a fact you should never configure nGlide this way.
Why?
it allow to upscale and downscale like SSAA or DSR (with nvidia driver), not? it's like a natural antialiasing.
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

No, super resolutions aren't possible to implement independently in Glide API games i.e. without modifying game code/renderer.

A resolution selected in nGlide configurator is the output (final) resolution. Internal resolution is selected in game menu/options (usually 640x480).

To be able to "DSR" a game you would have to select 7680x4320 internally and 2560x1440 in nGlide configurator. The problem is Glide API never supported anything higher than 1600x1200.

There are only 2 titles (Undying and Need For Speed 3) where fans were able to remove Glide API resolution limit with necessary patches.

For 99% of other Glide games the only way to "DSR/VSR" them is to use nVidia/AMD panel, but then you need to be aware what new resolutions have been added to the system after enabling the feature. They are usually multiplies of a native resolution, e.g. a resolution like 8K (7680x4320) won't be available on a WQHD monitor. Otherwise nGlide would keep the aspect ratio.