nGlide 2.00: Carmageddon 1 & 2

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Toshiba-3

nGlide 2.00: Carmageddon 1 & 2

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello Zeus and thanks for the new release!

Here's some feedback for C1/C2, I hope it's ok to post it in a new thread.

I had tested the first 2.00 release and then the fixed one uploaded yesterday in the evening. The fixed one really improved the framerate with the Vulkan API as it went from half the current DX fps (see below), to equal fps in C1 and max fps in C2. The following figures are with the fixed 2.00:

C1 (Steam release, DOSBOX 0.74G, "VOODO2C.EXE -VRUSH", OPTIONS.TXT: YonFactor=1 & Yon=35)
Vulkan = 21-35 fps (ingame)
DirectX = 25-32 fps (ingame)
DirectX slightly outperforms Vulkan here as it delivers a more stable fps. While Vulkan has higher peaks, its average fps is usually lower.
I think those are decent framerates for a 3D game running through DOSBox at that resolution on my config?

C2 (GOG release, OPTIONS.TXT: YonFactor=1 & Yon=35)
Vulkan = 48 fps (menu) - 62/63 fps (ingame) (those are default fps for C2, I think?)
DirectX = its goes from 48 (menu) - 62/63 (ingame) to ~30 fps after a short while.
No idea why. It already did this with nGlide 1.05. Might be related to my config. dgVoodoo with DX11 has the same performance as nGlide with Vulkan though.
When run with Vulkan, C2 ingame shows a 1 pixel wide vertical line at the far right that comes from the last menu background (see picture here).
Finally, as C2 always crashes when it quits (ntdll.dll...), I'm used to Alt+F4 out of it. This doesn't go well when in Vulkan mode as the process must be killed 2 to 3 times. The event viewer catches a different crash then, which log I attach to this post.

Both games were run at desktop resolution (1920x1080), with no vsync, 4:3 aspect ratio, desktop refresh rate, gamma correction to 0.7.
No mods installed.

Here's my config:
Acer AIO Z5801 + Windows 10 FCU
Core i7 2600S @2.8GHz (3.8GHz turbo)
16GB RAM
Intel Graphics HD 2000 + nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (drivers atm = 388.13)

That's all o/
Attachments
C2_nv.7z
(14.59 KiB) Downloaded 782 times
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Zeus
Site Admin

Re: nGlide 2.00: Carmageddon 1 & 2

Post by Zeus »

Now that's what I call a feedback. Thanks Tosh! :D
Toshiba-3 wrote:I think those are decent framerates for a 3D game running through DOSBox at that resolution on my config?
Assuming it's a first release they seem to be quite ok, but I would like to see much higher numbers.
Toshiba-3 wrote: DirectX = its goes from 48 (menu) - 62/63 (ingame) to ~30 fps after a short while.
No idea why. It already did this with nGlide 1.05. Might be related to my config.
Very odd. Does this happen only on Twin Shrieks or on some other stages as well? Could you benchmark also nGlide 1.03 and 1.04? How long do I need to play to reproduce it? 5 mins? 30 mins?
Toshiba-3 wrote:C2 (GOG release, OPTIONS.TXT: YonFactor=1 & Yon=35)
Vulkan = 48 fps (menu) - 62/63 fps (ingame) (those are default fps for C2, I think?)
Yes, C2 caps the framerate to 48fps in menu and to 60 ingame.
Toshiba-3 wrote: When run with Vulkan, C2 ingame shows a 1 pixel wide vertical line at the far right that comes from the last menu background
Toshiba-3 wrote: Finally, as C2 always crashes when it quits (ntdll.dll...), I'm used to Alt+F4 out of it. This doesn't go well when in Vulkan mode
Fixed both couple days ago. :)
Toshiba-3

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello Zeus :)
Fixed both couple days ago.
\o/
Very odd. Does this happen only on Twin Shrieks or on some other stages as well? Could you benchmark also nGlide 1.03 and 1.04? How long do I need to play to reproduce it? 5 mins? 30 mins?
As the old version of dgVoodoo 1.5 (DX9 too) has the same problem and TES:Oblivion (again DX9) has severe fps troubles as well... I found the problem:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 1a2c23181a

Disabling Fullscreen Optimisations in the program's Properties>Compatibility tab indeed solve the issue \o/
Zeus
Site Admin

Post by Zeus »

Oh my! Let's hope they will fix it with the next update.
JimmyBlack

Post by JimmyBlack »

I've been playing Carma 1-2 for awhile and it's great except this: in Carma rear view mirror cuts my framerate in half! Why?
Playing at 1920x1400 for proper picture. And in Carma 2 exiting always gives an error NTDL.dll something (in both APIs).

I have Intel i7 4790k superclocked, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR3 2.4 GHZ superclocked and x2 SLI Asus GeForce 1080Ti OC superclocked, Win 10 Pro with all latest updates.
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

Here is how my windshields looks in Carma1 with nGlide 2.00 (all works fine with 1.05 version)
Снимок экрана (11).png
Снимок экрана (11).png (386.73 KiB) Viewed 6402 times
Toshiba-3

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well, this is normal beheaviour for Carmageddon in Glide mode. Not all cars have "reflective" windshield, and while they display a gradient in software mode (both DOS and CARM95), they just look like an average color of that gradient in Glide mode. AFAIK that's one of the limitations of the Glide Carma executables.

(both nGlide 1.02 (ships with the GOG release) and nGlide 1.05 look the same as well)
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Well, this is normal beheaviour for Carmageddon in Glide mode. Not all cars have "reflective" windshield, and while they display a gradient in software mode (both DOS and CARM95), they just look like an average color of that gradient in Glide mode. AFAIK that's one of the limitations of the Glide Carma executables.

(both nGlide 1.02 (ships with the GOG release) and nGlide 1.05 look the same as well)
Hmm, you may be right, my bad! :oops: