Carmageddon 1 running slow

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
daan

Carmageddon 1 running slow

Postby daan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi.
I have tried playing carmageddon using nglide and dosbox but every time I enter the race it's running very slow at about 5 fps max 15 fps. In nglide faq is written that it require single core 2.0 ghz. I have athlonxp 2600 that's 2.1 ghz and I can't play it comfortably. So what's are minimum specifications to play carmageddon? How I can increase framerate? Are there any plans for future release of better optimised nglide?

myloch

Re: Carmageddon 1 running slow

Postby myloch » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:26 pm

I think it's not only a nglide fault. I remember that game was weirdly programmed and it was heavy to run for many reasons. I don't know your cpu id but maybe a gigahertz eater beast can solve the problem (just like with mame and emulators in general).

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:10 am

daan: Are there any plans for future release of better optimised nglide?

I'll try to optimize it even more but I can't promise anything.

myloch: I remember that game was weirdly programmed

True. ;)

daan

Postby daan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks for answering.
1. I have tried running carmageddon on ykhwong build dosbox http://ykhwong.x-y.net/. The game is running but the screen goes black. Can You fix it?

2. Is there any way of running carmageddon in glide mode with vdmsound but NOT under dosbox? I can run carmageddon smoothly with vdmsound but under dosbox it's not playable.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:48 pm

screen goes black

Set fullscreen=true and memsize=63 in dosbox.conf.

glide mode with vdmsound but NOT under dosbox

Google is your friend.

daan

Postby daan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks, fullscreen solved the problem.

As for second question I meant how to use vdmsound with nglide. When I try to run carmageddon in glide mode with vdmsound it gives me error: Fatal error: unable to load dll. On the other hand I can run carmageddon in software mode without any problems. I don't know which dll it want. I have tried to copy glide2x.dll to carmageddon dir but that didn't help. Can You look at it please?

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:24 pm

As for second question I meant how to use vdmsound with nglide

You can't use nGlide and DOS Glide games without DOSBox + Gulikoza's Glide patch. DOS Glide games use glide2x.ovl driver (not glide2x.dll), that's why Gulikoza's patch (glide2x.ovl->glide2x.dll) is required.

daan

Postby daan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Thanks for explaining that. Keep up good work

infuscomus

Postby infuscomus » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:00 am

daan wrote:Thanks for answering.
1. I have tried running carmageddon on ykhwong build dosbox http://ykhwong.x-y.net/. The game is running but the screen goes black. Can You fix it?

2. Is there any way of running carmageddon in glide mode with vdmsound but NOT under dosbox? I can run carmageddon smoothly with vdmsound but under dosbox it's not playable.

I noticed the black screen too with ykhwong's build, you must set it to render with OpenGL not Direct3d, then it works

myloch

Postby myloch » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:57 pm

I had grSstWinOpen failed message problem (aka black screen problem) too. Or flickering windows bar and partially visible desktop or "failed to create hardware surface" problems randomly, with ykhwong AND gulikoza's builds. I fixed these problems setting dosbox to - fullscreen direct3d output - (do NOT use surface, overlay or others with nglide).

Return to “Problems”