nGlide and DOSBox

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
Latvian3Dman

Re: nGlide and DOSBox

Postby Latvian3Dman » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:38 am

Hello all!
I would like a question to szekeres2010: i understand you got Carma1 working smooth and without sound hickups? Could you please describe exactly what dosbox build or combination of builds you use, and other details? I can get Carma1 working with both Gulikoza and CosmiDan compilations, but both runs slow and sound stutter. Any hints/suggestions, please? Thank You! :)

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Everyone have the same CosmicDan's compilation. Athlon XP 1800+ is just too slow. Buy faster CPU and your problems will disappear. :)

myloch

Postby myloch » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:45 pm

Here are my thoughts about nglide/dosbox combo...brilliant results but you have to trial/error very much with dosbox config (on my pc)

tests made with gulikoza, cosmicdan and dosbox.r3623+uber1

my pc is a centrino2 dualcore, vista sp2 32bit, geforce 9600m gt and 4gb ram

tested games: carmageddon, tomb raider and dreams to reality

I made ALL my tests with original 3dfxspl2.dll from the builds
present in the dosbox directory.

nglide is working - only - with direct3d or opengl output (see dosbox config file)
cosmicdan's has no direct3d output support (!), this is too bad for me because opengl output worked like shit with my pc configuration.

opengl is way too much unstable. sometimes it works. sometimes it crashes. sometimes (often) it returns from fullscreen to windowed mode (black screen but ingame audio).
direct3d output + nglide is very compatible, it works pretty well, crash is a rare eventuality.

resolution selection in nglide seem to be very important for final result (crash or success)

dreams to reality with nglide + dosbox0.74uber or cosmicdan's: ingame crash when pushing spacebar (button needed for "battle mode", it gave error "ifbunlock lockbuff invalidcall". No crash with gulikoza's build (a dosbox 0.73 build)...so this crash maybe a dosbox related problem???

carmageddon's damage gallery (between levels) shows no 3d models of cars.

*EDIT*
Made other tests with same builds and same games but in another pc, this time a p4, winXP sp3, radeon HD4650. oddly this time 3dfx emulation starts not only using direct3d/opengl dosbox outputs but even with others like "surface". And OpenGl is way more stable now. I can change Nglide resolutions without fear of a crash too. Dunno if it was a dosbox, nglide or nvidia opengl problem with the other system with Vista :roll:
The dreams to reality crash is here too, with BSOD :?

feel free to ask me for more in depth infos.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Thank you Myloch.

cosmicdan's has no direct3d output support (!), this is too bad for me because opengl output worked like shit with my pc configuration

oddly this time 3dfx emulation starts not only using direct3d/opengl dosbox outputs but even with others like "surface"

That's why I linked both compilations. Use one that works best for you.

Dunno if it was a dosbox, nglide or nvidia opengl problem with the other system with Vista

I can't answer precisely because I'm not DOSBox developer. DOSBox may not like Vista or your mobile GeForce.

dreams to reality with nglide + dosbox0.74uber or cosmicdan's: ingame crash when pushing spacebar

Fixed already. DTR is not supported yet, but it will be with nGlide 0.94.

carmageddon's damage gallery (between levels) shows no 3d models of cars.

I'll try to fix this issue.

myloch

Postby myloch » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:30 pm

Other infos, maybe Zeus can find them useful.
I saw that a frequent error message I received when using various dosbox builds with the vista system is: "glide: grSstWinOpen failed". And the opengl output frequently returned to windowed mode (with a black window and working ingame audio) after the spinning 3dfx logo. hey Zeus: what's the dosbox output you suggest? In my vista system, like I said in a previous post, only the direct3d/opengl worked (and this makes sense because nglide is a wrapper). In the Xp+ati system (and this was unexpected) the dosbox output selection seems to be irrelevant. I wonder why...

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:32 pm

glide: grSstWinOpen failed

My suggestion for this is to reinstall DirectX from Microsoft website (newest version).

what's the dosbox output you suggest

I'm using 'surface' output for CosmicDan's build and 'direct3d' for Gulikoza's build (as provided by the authors) and I have no problems at all (tested on XP and W7 with GeForce 9800 GT).

In the Xp+ati system (and this was unexpected) the dosbox output selection seems to be irrelevant

Same for me. Output parameter shouldn't affect glide wrapper because it's only for DOSBox internal usage. Glide wrapper is external software so it's always Direct3D if nGlide is used.

I suggest you to install second OS on your laptop (Windows XP) and make some tests.

myloch

Postby myloch » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:48 pm

Another bug with carmageddon. Enable cockpit mode and you will see the driver's face in the top-left partially covered but it should not be like that. (minor issue)

I have latest forceware 260.63 and reinstalled directx. And again nglide starts only with direct3d or opengl dosbox output. Weird thing just like another problem I had with pod gold. Following the tutorials you can find easily on the web, there was no way to make it work in the pc with Xp and ati (with nglide or any other glide wrapper), always the same result: double click on game executable...nothing happens. Same thing done on the vista pc: the game starts with nglide perfectly. Not a big problem as far as I can successfully play everything in a way or another. :)

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:03 am

For POD Gold in XP try delete Indeo codecs. Read RazTK post.

carmageddon. Enable cockpit mode and you will see the driver's face in the top-left partially covered

Bug confirmed. Thanks again.

myloch

Postby myloch » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:34 pm

further details about the opengl problem with nglide I previously talked about:

SDL:OPENGL:can't open drawing surface, are you running in 16bpp (or higher) mode?
glide:grSstWinOpen failed!
Glide: resetting page handler at 0x60000000

and with surface (or others) only the glide failed message appears.

The only good one for the vista + geforce machine (as said) is direct3d output.

myloch

Postby myloch » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi Zeus, I have new details about my problem (nglide not working with dosbox output modes except direct3d).
Don't know if it's only with 0.94 or even with old version, but I discovered that if I start a game (tried tombraider, carmageddon and dreams) with dosbox set to windowed mode, the glide wrapper starts correctly (with EVERY dosbox output mode).
If I go fullscreen and then start the game, the wrapper do not start and give the grsstwinopen error.
Direct3d is the only output where a 3dfx game starts correctly with dosbox in windowed and fullscreen mode.

The minor graphic bugs with carmageddon are always present but the game seems a bit faster than with 0.93
Dreams to reality works ... like a dream now. ...good job!

Return to “Problems”