ImageImage
ImageImage

It has 1 Graphic Bug in Mainmenu.

MFG
Anakin94
CosmicDan

Re: nGlide and DOSBox

Post by CosmicDan »

...just an FYI to all those subscribed to the thread. I have been informed that my old build is actually the fastest option for many people. As such, I plan to make a new build very soon. Will let you know when it's ready :)
Regards, Dan a.k.a "Jonus Conrad"
jonus.me/ || twitter.com/jonusc || facebook.com/jonusc
Squall Leonhart

Post by Squall Leonhart »

fastest... depends on the app you are running.

the various carmageddon 3dfx builds have varying performance between them.... the voodo2c 3dfx file runs the slowest.
CosmicDan

Post by CosmicDan »

Clarification: by "my old build", I was referring to "DOSBox SVN Build by CosmicDan" relative to other 3DFX-enabled builds of DOSBox i.e ykhwong's, "UBER" build or gulikoza's. Was not talking about the different render engines provided by a certain game.
Squall Leonhart

CosmicDan wrote:Clarification: by "my old build", I was referring to "DOSBox SVN Build by CosmicDan" relative to other 3DFX-enabled builds of DOSBox i.e ykhwong's, "UBER" build or gulikoza's. Was not talking about the different render engines provided by a certain game.
i know. i was referring to the usage of applications with that version of dosbox.

only problem with ykhwongs is it seemingly fails to increase the cycle rate properly when it auto sets "Max"
CosmicDan

Post by CosmicDan »

Ah. So you do not notice any performance benefit using my build? Many have said the build I did is faster for 3DFX games compared to tao's build (which I now use too), but I don't know if it's a placebo effect or just specific to certain hardware or Windows versions. May I ask your system specs?

The other thing about tao's build that annoys me is running full-screen on startup Direct3D, for some reason the menubar is still visible with a flicker at the top. Using OpenGL or disabling the menubar with -nomenu parameter eliminates this.
Squall Leonhart

they perform about the same when i force the cycle rate to max properly.
CosmicDan

Post by CosmicDan »

Interesting... on my laptop (Core i3), I achieve best performance with cycles on auto for pretty much everything. May be due to the nature of variable-speed on mobile processors. May I ask again what your CPU and Windows version is? I am trying to gather as much test data as possible for the next build.
Squall Leonhart

windows 7 and a core i7 920 at 3.8Ghx

the issue is an odd one

main dosbox has a similar issue with not raising the cycles high enough when it switches automatically from auto to max.
CosmicDan

Post by CosmicDan »

Ah well, I guess it's just a flaw in DOSBox. It being 0.7x i.e. not 1.x tells us it is still of course incomplete. And nothing is perfect (but pretty darn close!) :D

From memory, both the auto and max cycles options were originally 3rd-party patches - just like Direct3D output and Glide wrapping are today - that were eventually merged into the official project. Though I know they are both still flawed - in some cases you still need to set cycles to a specific number for some games. E.g. the Installation/Setup program of Screamer Rally will crash if on auto or max, also the battle scenes in Quest for Glory IV are extremely hyper-fast when cycles are auto.

Alas, we digress. This is all good info for me for making a new build, and researching whether to base it on official 0.74 or a specific SVN revision. I will probably do lot's of testing and maybe raise a few queries on VOGONS about 0.75. There are some very very interesting proposed patches and optimizations for the DOSBox project right now, though mostly experimental - I will probably do quite a few different builds.