nGlide and DOSBox

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
SBlaster

nGlide and DOSBox

Postby SBlaster » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:55 pm

First of all, thank you for making this amazing Glide Wrapper, it works wonderfully with a couple of games I've tried, but what surprised me the most was that this wrapper is compatible with DOS games using DOSBox! However there are some problems with it, I have tested 3 DOS games in DOSBox, they are Tomb Raider (Voodoo Rush patch), Blood and Carmageddon, here is a more detailed list of the problems:

Tomb Raider:

The game works fine, but it has the classic Lara's shadow bug, a lot glide wrappers have it, and the few that don't have it usually use some hacks to make it work properly, here is a screenshot showing hte problem:

Blood:

The game has two problems, the first one are the HUD Graphics, the text is unreadable, but that's something that happens with dgVoodoo too, the other problem are the terrible slowdowns that this game has, somtime the framerate will go under 10 FPS, making it impossible to aim, again that problem also happens with dgVoodoo, but not that often. Here is a screenshot showing the problem:

Carmageddon:

The game starts but the screen is black, I can hear the music but I can't see anything.

I guess that's all, thank you again for your effort.

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: nGlide and DOSBox

Postby Zeus » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:09 pm

What surprised me the most was that this wrapper is compatible with DOS games using DOSBox!

I'm very surprised too. :o

I didn't know there is a Glide support in DOSBox.

Do you use special version of DOSBox (with gulikoza's patch)?

Right now I'm trying to run these games under DOSBox.
After that, I'll figure out what to do next.

Thanks for your info.

EDIT: Now I've got it, glide2x.ovl used in dosbox is not an original voodoo driver, it's the Gulikoza's patch itself.

SBlaster

Postby SBlaster » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:25 am

I compiled a build using the Glide Patch from guilkoza (the one here http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=16462) and the latest SVN from the DOSBox team, but if you don't want to compile it download the one from guilkoza's page here: http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/, I simply deleted the Glide2x.dll and Openglide.inf from the DOSBox folder and installed nGlide, so when DOSBox wanted to use Glide the calls were directed to your Wrapper.

I hope it helps.

gidierre

Postby gidierre » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:25 pm

SBlaster wrote:
Tomb Raider:
The game works fine, but it has the classic Lara's shadow bug, a lot glide wrappers have it, and the few that don't have it usually use some hacks to make it work properly, here is a screenshot showing hte problem:

yeah, Glidos & dgVoodoo both have their own separate TR1 shadow hack

the glide patch for Dosbox 0.72 once was missing the shadow, just like your screenshot shows,
until I personally hacked Lara's shadow into gulikoza's patch long ago
(obviously 2D Dosbox didn't need that)

is nGlide code browsable anyhow?
I'd love to have a look at what could be done about it.

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:57 pm

Tomb Raider, classic Lara's shadow bug

Shadow problem fixed, it will be added in the next release.

Blood, HUD Graphics and terrible slowdowns

Both problems cannot be solved. This game is one of the first glide games and it's very badly written. For the second we must wait for faster CPU's.

Carmageddon, can't see anything

Still testing.

More titles:
Grand Theft Auto - working well.
Shadow Warrior, Screamer 2 - not working at all yet in 3Dfx mode with Gulikoza's compilation.

gidierre: is nGlide code browsable anyhow?

Unfortunately no.

CosmicDan

Postby CosmicDan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:32 pm

Carmageddon works fine with the latest nGlide and the LATEST glide patch for DOSBox. Well actually, I just downloaded guilkoza prebuilt copy and replaced glide2x.ovl with the latest one from his thread on VOGONS and now Carmageddon works fine in DOSBox :)

Though of course, it is a little slow - might be because I'm only on an Athlon X2 5200+ so an i7 or something might rock the pants off. For good performance be sure to manually set res to 640x480 in D-Fend or CONF file, and use the numpad - key to reduce the in-game screensize three or four times. That last one made the most difference, after three or so "viewpane box" reductions in went from ~10fps to ~30fps.

P.S. nGlide rocks. So much better than all the other ones, it just works.

P.P.S. The Blood 3DFX patch was always experimental and unsupported, so I wouldn't expect too much for a while. I prefer playing without Glide in Blood anyway, because it removes all the voxels (they are not much, but still). I don't have a Voodoo card anymore but I wouldn't be surprised if the overscan-like effect on the HUD is also there on real hardware. Maybe someone can test it on a Voodoo 2 if they have one.

EDIT: Replacing the Glide2x.ovl only seems to work for Carmageddon yet breaks other games. Actually, I'm beginning to think that Carmageddon was infact running in Software mode even though I ran the 3DFX version. With that said, I'm going to find (or build myself) an updated version of DOSBox with the latest Glide source patch from the thread.
Regards, Dan a.k.a "Jonus Conrad"
jonus.me/ || twitter.com/jonusc || facebook.com/jonusc

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi CosmicDan, thanks for your support.

Are you sure you've played C1 in glide mode?. Did you saw 3Dfx spinning logo at the beginning?.

I've made what you said:
-downloaded dosboxcvs-090704.zip from gulikoza's website
-deleted glide2x.dll from dosbox directory
-installed nGlide
-replaced glide2x.ovl from dosbox directory with the newest one from glide2x.zip from vogons forum

and nothing worked.

C1 and TR runs in software mode. Other games like Blood does not work at all.

This version of glide2x.ovl does not init glide mode at all. At least for me. Did you changed something in dosbox.conf? Can someone confirm the results?

CosmicDan

Postby CosmicDan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:52 am

Hey Zeus,

You are correct, the replacement glide2x.ovl does nothing :lol: I am using my own build from the SVN and the glide patch, nothing else. Gulikoza's binary is actually out of date and I couldn't get anything to work with nGlide in there, so I have this one with the latest Glide patch.

I have one with Direct3D also in there but it is buggy too, but it doesn't matter anyway for testing glide because it is slower using glide + Direct3D output in my experience anyway.

Well here's the binary pack based on Pre-0.74 code, FYI not sure if you use the SVN builds but there are major performance improvements in the latest DOSBox code! Blood 3DFX is actually slower than Software @ 1024x768 for me now :mrgreen: (yes, real 1024 not just output).

The Carmageddon black-screen issue is the case with other existing DOSBox-compatible glide wrappers too. But unlike others, yours works in Screamer Rally :)

ScreamerRally3DFX.jpg
ScreamerRally3DFX.jpg (117.46 KiB) Viewed 17588 times

Like Blood however, the performance is worse than software mode, as of DOSBox Pre-0.74 SVN.

So just to recap, gulikoza's current binary build was not working for me at all in Win7 x64. But now my symptoms are identical to SBlasters (who also built from source). Anyway here's the binaries I am using, with the source as optional seperate download as per GPL law ;) (I built this in VC++ 2008 Express).
http://azuze.net/dosbox/dosbox-2010-03- ... -glide.zip
http://azuze.net/dosbox/dosbox-2010-03- ... de-src.rar

If you'd like a better debug build (additional to the glide2x.ovl.debug included) let me know and I'll build one, can also create a unified DIFF if desired. Anywho let me know if this build is any better than the older one, as I said the original did not work at all for me (in Win7 x64 at least, might in XP though?) so it'd be good to know what your experience is compared to the 'original' DOSBox Glide build.

P.S. Alt-tabbing from DOSBox when in Glide mode results in a black screen when you switch back to it. A minor annoyance. Will probably have to figure out how to get CTRL+F5 screenshots to work in Glide mode too, but i'll leave all that for the VOGONS forum as it's obviously something to do in the DOSBox patch.
Regards, Dan a.k.a "Jonus Conrad"
jonus.me/ || twitter.com/jonusc || facebook.com/jonusc

Zeus
Site Admin

Postby Zeus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:47 pm

Good job, CosmicDan. :D

With this compilation and the newest Gulikoza's patch many dos glide games work better.

Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider: UB, Screamer Rally now work fine and without bugs!
Shadow Warrior is now working and crashes, but in previous version it didn't work at all.

This looks very promising. :D

gulikoza

Postby gulikoza » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:00 pm

A matching patch and ovl should always be used as I sometimes change dosbox<->ovl communication ;)
DOSBox glide patch only forwards glide calls to the host, so yes as you figured out any wrapper or even real voodoo card can be used...Camageddon works with dgvoodoo I think, see here: http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/glide.html

Yes I know my binary is terribly outdated, unfortunately I just haven't had the time to sort it out...hopefully soon :D

Return to “Problems”