Unreal tournment glitchy texture under vulkan

Report bugs, errors, problems, etc.
vlad01

Unreal tournment glitchy texture under vulkan

Postby vlad01 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:08 pm

I seem to get a lot of flickering textures in UT99 with nglide, mainly under 2.0 with vulkan. I do recall some of this with older nglide but not to this extent.

I use this setting as it gives me the best performance by far over UT's native OGL and DX. With DX on ngilde 1.xx there was great performance but bad font corruption and slow menu performance.

nglide 2 improved the image quality and font on the menu but ran slower with DX back end reintroducing lag as when run on native game. Vulkan option is the fastest but seems to make these glitches.

I made a short video shows this.

I also get a little bit of this in NFS5 on the pop up headlights of cars that have them.

When I refer to slow performance it's not the FPS but there is a lot of input lag on native UT APIs, and nglide 2 with DX back end. The only 2 option that overcame the large input lag was ngilde 1.xx or nglide 2 on vulkan option. The prior had text corruption, the latter has texture issues. I preferred the latter as I could not read the menu at all.

I run win 7
AMD FX
GTX 980.

Have tried all kinds of setting on the nvidia control panel to see what changes, no changes there and tried many drivers since nglide 2 release with no change other than a slow down with newer drivers and general issues. So using 391.01. That was one of the last good drivers for this card under win 7 I that I had tested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyyUdTB ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by vlad01 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

vlad01

Re: Unreal tournment clitchy texture under vulkan

Postby vlad01 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:47 pm

Actually just tested, both dx and vulkan on nglide 2.0 have the same issue but on certain textures sometimes only vulkan will do it.

Interestingly regarding what I said about input lag and general performance between the 2 back ends. DX allows higher min frame rates but has noticeable input lag. It has CPU loading spread out and sporadic, GPU load is very low all the time.

Under Vulkan the CPU load is fixed to one main thread only with mostly 100% utilization, this makes it suffer some what in min fps but has fantastically quick input response. Also the GPU is much better utilized as well. It maybe something to do with CPU scheduling to why they perform differently.

I also found DX mode has mouse pointer corruption on the menu with a small green line next to the pointer at all times and text is a slightly more pixelated. Vulkan is perfect on the menu.

UnrealTournament_2018_10_27_23_28_30_356.jpg
UnrealTournament_2018_10_27_23_28_30_356.jpg (290.43 KiB) Viewed 405 times

UnrealTournament_2018_10_27_23_23_46_005.jpg
UnrealTournament_2018_10_27_23_23_46_005.jpg (202.58 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Zeus
Site Admin

Re: Unreal tournment glitchy texture under vulkan

Postby Zeus » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:14 am

Thanks for the feedback. I'll see which of these issues could be fixed.

Which map is it?

vlad01

Re: Unreal tournment glitchy texture under vulkan

Postby vlad01 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:31 am

Savage and son. Its a custom map on the HOF evil sniper server.

It's not just this map but I found about 50% of all maps do it at some place. Usually seems to be with thin brushes or just 2d faces.

Also get it in NFS5 on pop up head lights and on the car interiors.

Return to “Problems”